Sunday, June 15, 2008

Casual Summer Knitting


I love pictures of flowers, especially if they are ones that I took when we were traveling. These were at the base of a lighthouse on the coast close to San Francisco. They make me think back to cooler temperatures and exciting discoveries.

I still haven't found THE next lace shawl that I want to knit. That exciting discovery just hasn't happened yet. BUT, I think it is close. I was looking at my sister's Ravelry site last night and discovered the "Heirloom Stitches" group. (One of the great things about Ravelry is that the groups chosen by your friends are available to you to check out. I mean, there is SO MUCH on Ravelry that it is almost impossible to see it all without some direction. Looking at the groups that interest your friends can open some new directions to you that you had not previously thought about.) Anyway, on the Heirloom Stitches site there is a thread called "The Art of Knitting 1897". Cindy Moore, aka fitterknitter, is in the process of rewriting patterns from this book. She has a link on her Ravelry site to her blog where she has downloadable copies of the patterns, along with many patterns which she created. Her blog can be found at http://fitterknitter.livejournal.com/. If you like lace or think you might like lace, you should check out this site.


Some of the lace projects that I am currently working on to pass the time include lace washcloths from the book, A Knitter's Stash. I've done several before now, but the two I'm working on are the Horseshoe Lace and the Lacy Vine. The yarn is easy to work with and the patterns are just satisfying enough to be interesting yet relaxing.

I've also started my first pair of lace socks. I am doing a KAL with my friend, Mary. We are using a pattern from the summer issue of Piecework magazine. I think they are just called "Ann Budd's knitted lace socks". I've just finished the cuff and gotten the first repeat of the lacy pattern almost done. Having to do two of these socks just might satisfy my need for lace right now. Maybe...
till next time...
b

No comments: