Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Swallowtail

This week I finished my Swallowtail Shawl. I got it blocked, and it is ready to go for the silent auction benefit.

I would not mind making another one to keep, but I think the next time I will use lighter colored and heavier guage yarn. I would like it to be a little larger than this one, although this one did block out to the finished size on the pattern. As I looked at the points, which are not as pronounced as I would have liked, I wondered if the "Swallowtail Butterfly" has points as pronounced as some of it's namesake shawls. Google produced this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papilionidae with a beautiful picture of the Swallowtail butterfly.

This project was so intense that I had difficulty getting started on something new. It took a couple of days, but I managed. I started my first pair of toe-up socks, using the lessons learned from Lucy Neatby's class. (I'm thankful I bought the DVD's). I'm using the garter stitch short-row toe and short-row heel. I'm not really happy with the way the garter stitch sticks out bigger than the rest of the sock foot, which is stockinette stitch, but that is the nature of garter stitch. Ilm going to try to live with it . We'll see. I've already had to frog the heel, but I'm ready to try again.

Of course, I spent time on line, in addition to Lucy Neatby's DVD's, to check out techniques for the short row toes and heels. There are many sites that explain the how-to's. Here are just a couple:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html , http://misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/9/21/short-row-heel-tutorial.html , http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter02/FEATtiptoptoes.html

till next time...

b






6 comments:

Megan Wolfe said...

Hey, nice! That looks cute. :)

I'm impressed you added Twitter to your Blogger too! You're getting all sophisticated on me. :)

akt said...

WOW NEATO!!!! that is nice.

i love the butterfly foto too. L33T mad skillz!

Becky G said...

Lovely shawl. One thing that put me off the swallowtail shawl was its size. I like big shawls. I've got it queued and when I ever get around to knitting it, I'm going to try to figure how to make it bigger.

Do you know that the Memphis Zoo just reopened their butterfly exhibit? My son and I were going to go Saturday, but the grey clouds hanging over us all day made me decide to postpone the trip until Wednesday. I took a vacation day because, well, sometimes you just need a break.

MSbeckey said...

Thanks, Becky. There is actually a post on Ravelry that tells how to increase the size of the shawl. I think it was under the Lace Knitting Group. I'll see if I can find it and send it to you.
Thanks, megan and akt, for stopping by. I always love your comments.
b

Stefanie said...

Wow, that's a beautiful shawl! I'd love to make one, myself, but I'm a wee bit afraid of lace at the moment. ;) Much too much scribble. I'll get there someday.

MSbeckey said...

Thanks, Stephanie. Actually, if you want to try lace, Swallowtail is a great first lace project. The pattern repeats are very easy to learn. You can do it! I've seen your work on Ravelry.
b