Wednesday, June 16, 2010

More Ashland Bay Merino

Latest spinning project. 100% merino. Colorway is Mojave. Hope to get enough 2 ply at a nice weight to make a shawl, maybe close to a 2 ply sock weight. I'm almost half way through the top, which I split evenly into 2 oz. pieces. Throughout drafting the fiber, I have tried to be careful to NOT run my finger from the orafice to the drafting zone, hoping that the resulting yarn will be a little more airy than a regular worsted spun yarn..  The main challenge that I am having at this time is that some spots on the current single are lace thin and not spun tightly enough to hold together.  I've experienced breakage of the single, especially when trying to join another piece of top, more so than ever before. It has been very frustrating.  I think the answer is that I need to go ahead and order a lace bobbin that will have a higher ratio for spinning than my current regular bobbins that came with my Louet S10.  I'm thinking my next payday is the time.  Should improve the second half of singles that will be plied with the one already almost finished. At least I hope so.
Until later, keep knitting, spinning or whatever your passion!
b

No comments: