Friday, April 25, 2008

Azaleas & Bamboo Socks

This week the azaleas have bloomed. My dogwood tree, which every year prior to this one had only a handful of blooms, is loaded with flower buds. They are so beautiful!

My main knitting focus this week has been to finish one of my current wips, the Regia Bamboo socks, and I was able to kitchener the second toe last night. So far, all of my socks have been "top down", yet even so, every time I have to sit in front of my computer and work with a demonstration video for kitchener stitch to graft the toes. But not this time! At least not on the second sock :) Now that's progress! Next time, I may have to watch again, but thanks to the generous knitters on line, I can refresh my memory with their videos any time.

If you've never tried kitchener stitch, or you have tried and have gotten frustrated as I have, there are several great demonstration videos on line to help. The one I have used most often is found at http://www.knittinghelp.com/. After going to this site, just go to the "Advanced Knitting Techniques" and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the video. There are a lot of other very helpful videos for other knitting techniques on this site as well. When I googled "kitchener stitch videos", several sites came up. Two others that I viewed were http://lectio.ca/ and http://www.knitwitch.com/. These actually came up in a bigger screen, making viewing the knitting process easier. All three videos were execellent! I hope they will help to give you confidence to graft those toes!

One of the main reasons I wanted to finish my socks at this time is to have them for a upcoming class that I am taking with Lucy Neatby (http://www.tradewindknits.com/). She will be at my LYS the weekend of Mother's Day, and one class will be on socks. I can't wait!

Socks make great lunch time or travel knitting. Especially the plain ribbed, stockinette kind. I've made several pairs. This particular pair, though, actually turned out too big. I cast on for the larger size, using smaller needles, thinking I was knitting too tightly on the previous ones (did I hear someone ask "Swatch?") Anyway, I've got more Regia Bamboo, so I think I will go ahead and start another pair. I think I will stick to my tried and true 60 stitches and 2.25 mm needles for these.

It's time to knit. Let me leave you with something that I have been thinking about this week. It is a quote from Charles Swindoll:

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. . . I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes."

...till next time

b

6 comments:

Becky G said...

Where in MS are you? I am in Grenada. If you need a live demonstration, I would be happy to show you how to kitchener. Once you get the knack, it's really simple.

MSbeckey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MSbeckey said...

Hey becky, thanks for dropping by. I'm up close to Memphis. Love the Internet and the videos that are available. Would really love to have the one-on-one. See you on Ravelry!
b

Becky G said...

Next time we head up that way, I'll be sure to give you a holler. Perhaps we could meet up at Hank of Yarn.

akt said...

yAy update! socks!

i am always impressed with the things you make mom #2. I wear your black gloves religiously out here in san francisco, even in warm weather, just cuz it makes me look cool (or homeless). I thoroughly enjoy them. please dont ask about the scarf, cuz that's pretty much around my neck almost everyday too. Too bad we're hittin summer!

cant wait for you to do something like a spiderman doll!

Lynn said...

I'm making socks right now with the regia bamboo and it seems a bit floppy. How do yours wear once you got them on your foot?

Lyntintin@comcast.net